Tips on how to prepare for your pet’s first stay:
- Check the vaccination passport if the vaccine’s validity periods have not expired;
- Visit the hotel’s surroundings and meet the staff for a short period of time, take your pet with you. You’ll feel calmer when you see where your pet will be staying. You’ll also get answers to your questions. You can register for the visit by phone or by e-mail.
- Try Barkvilis day care center (Find more information here). We recommend that you get your dog accustomed to the new environment by bringing it to the day care center. This is particularly relevant in cases of larger or hunting dog breeds, very sensitive dogs or for dogs living in a kennel.
- Come 30 min – 60 min earlier to your planned departure. This time will be used to sign a contract with the pet care center and, fill the questionnaire about the pet(s), examine the pet, set the pet’s daily schedule.
- Prior to arrival, reduce the amount of food, attention, and number of treats. The longer the pet will be hungry, the faster Barkvilis staff will be able to make a connection with your pet and he/she will start enjoying the stay.
Upon arrival at Barkvilis daycare center you must have:
- Vaccination passport. Vaccination dates should not be expired;
- Breakfast and lunch (if they are supposed to eat). Your dog should not receive breakfast at home, he/she will get food at the day care center as eating is one of the greatest pleasures. The hotel faster creates a positive association for the pet.
- Blanket or towel or something to lay down on. The scent of home will give a sense of security.
What to bring for your stay at the hotel?
- Vaccination passport with a valid anti-rabies vaccine and vaccines for other complex diseases. We recommend vaccinating dogs against a very infectious disease called the kennel cough. Contact your veterinarian for more information.
- Food which the pet usually gets at home. Our hotel offers a possibility to feed dogs with dry food, raw meat, already prepared or processed frozen meal portions. You can bring? treats or canned wet food. Provision should be made for food to be sufficient for at least one or a few additional days in the case of a delayed departure.
- Pet food must be separated into portions according to daily norms or a measurement cup should be added.
- Equipment for safe dog walking outside. The harness or a collar must be durable, and the leash must be sturdy. This is to ensure that your pet cannot escape when faced with unforeseen environmental disturbances.
- Blanket, pet’s bed or towel. It is recommended to bring an easy-to-wash pet bed or an old blanket, which could be thrown out if needed. During the stay, a bed or blanket may be damaged by the pet(s) or become dirty. You can also buy such blankets or rugs when you come to our pet care center.
- Your pet’s personal belongings must be marked. Otherwise, the hotel staff will mark your items for you to avoid misplacing them.
- Equipment for special needs (medicines, food supplements, potty pads etc.).
Changes in the environment, separation anxiety, small spaces or other irritants can make an impact on the pet’s behavior and it can result in the following effects.
- Older pets;
- Very sensitive pets.
- Owner and pet separation;
- Changes in schedule;
- Lack of socialization;
- An unknown place;
- Too little physical activity;
- Nail clipping;
- Traveling by car.
- Dandruff in the fur;
- Disturbed bowel movements;
- Panic attacks;
- Increased chronic diseases;
- Cardiac disorders;
- Behavior disorders;
- Frequent urination;